Table of Contents
Best Portable Air Conditioners 2021
I am grateful to be of service and to bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most cases I receive referral commissions. Eventually, I may earn enough to buy a beer or two ?
There is no denying the need for an air conditioner as the broiling heat of the summer sets in. The cooling industry is currently filled with a wide range of choices to choose from any time you simply choose to make your living or office comfortable.
The portable air conditioner, not so much a conditioner as a transformer, is a cure to the summer pain from hot and humid air. You should wheel it anywhere it is most powerful and points it in the direction that offers optimum relief since the air conditioner drives on small rolling wheels.
This makes it easier for you to put the cold air where you need it. When you think about it, it’s just cool.
How Portable Air Conditioner Works
All types of air conditioners and even the fridge all operate much the same way. A portable air conditioner works by drawing hot air from the room into the unit.
Next, the engine inside the portable AC cools the air in the room for ventilation. The portable air conditioner often takes the warm air and excess humidity and forces it out of the window and into a hose.
A portable air conditioner’s primary function is to remove the heat from a room and send the heat outside.
As for portable air conditioners, the cool and dehumidified air is carried to space by air flowing over the cold end of the coil. Since moisture vapor suspended in the air condenses as it reaches the cold coil surface, the air is dehumidified.
The moisture drips from the coil and gathers in a pan, runs to a drain downward, or is being used to cool the coil’s hot portion. Meanwhile, air flowing over the coil’s hot end discharges into a hose running to the outside.
Choosing the Best Portable AC
Each type of device comes with capacity, energy usage, and cost trade-offs, so choosing the best one for you involves thinking about the size of your room, whether a permanent system is or can be set up for your house, and your cooling needs.
Here are the best portable air conditioners that can keep you comfortable and make it easier to have versatile mobility.
#1 BEST MULTI-FUNCTION: RolliBot Portable Air Conditioner & Dehumidifier w/App & Alexa Voice Control
Are you looking for an air conditioner that is easy to run, compact, and inexpensive with the latest features and technology? Then you are looking at the right one.
This 2-in-1 air conditioner and humidifier from Rollibot is a versatile unit that helps you to enjoy cool evenings and sleep peacefully during the warm summer months.
Thanks to the dehumidifier that brings moisture to the atmosphere, you never have to spend another dry and humid day again.
Easy to Install
Because of how basic the system is, installing this Portable Air Conditioner does not provide you with any issues.
Only plugging the exhaust pipe into the attachment socket is all it takes, and that’s it! Switch to the settings you want and lay back, relax, and enjoy your new humidifier/air conditioner.
The user manual that comes with this model is so simple to read and it’s not full of technical terminology that goes over your head. You can find where to call to get more information and assistance if you run into any difficulties during implementation.
Before you order, make sure to ask for a guarantee and check to see what is included in the warranty when you buy this unit.
Carbon Air Filter
Given the way cities are full of dust and pollution these days, it is a great way to filter out a lot of dust and dirt that can gather in the air by using a Portable Air Conditioner at home.
In the RolliBot, the carbon air filter ensures that any harmful emissions in your household are removed from the air, leaving you with nothing other than fresh, clean, non-toxic air.
For people who have asthma, have allergies, or are vulnerable to dust attacks, this unit is essential.
Today, technology regulates the way we work. The maker of RolliBot is well conscious of this, and it is for this reason that they have gone out of their way to build this helpful RolliBot app.
You first need to connect and link them via a WiFi network before you can coordinate the operation of the app and the device. After that, you can simply run and monitor the RolliBot anywhere in the room.
This is what comfort and convenience feel like. You don’t need to concern yourself with a remote control either. You can control this Portable Air Conditioner with the help of Alexa and as long as you have your phone with you.
- Manufacturer: Rollibot
- Item Model Number: COOL 310-19
- Cooling Capacity: 12,000 BTU
- Recommended Room Size: Up to 550 sq ft.
- Operational Modes: Dehumidify, Cooling, and Fan
- Dehumidifying Capacity: 55 pints/day
- Noise Level: 52-56dB(A)
- Smart App Control: Amazon Alexa, RolliCool App
- Temperature Range: 61°F – 88°F
- Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 14.2 x 28.4 inches
- Item Weight: 62 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 72 pounds
- Batteries: 2 AA batteries
Where to buy RolliBot Portable Air Conditioner & Dehumidifier w/App & Alexa Voice Control
#2 BEST EASY-TO-USE: Black & Decker Portable Air Conditioner
The Black & Decker portable air conditioner is sure to be a suitable option for those who don’t get too enthusiastic about having a wall-mounted air conditioner in their home. It has a 14000 BTU cooling capacity and is designed for medium-sized rooms as wide as 350 square feet.
The unit comes with just one exhaust hose and also has a dehumidifier that helps you to regulate your room’s moisture levels.
The BLACK+DECKER BPACT14WT is a compact portable air conditioner designed to create a cool and friendly atmosphere in your room.
It has a cooling capacity of 14,000 BTU and works in three modes to provide the atmosphere you need for relaxation in your bed. For spaces measuring between 300-350 square feet, this portable air conditioner is preferred.
This portable device has a built-in dehumidifier for removing excess moisture from the air in your home, in addition to cooling your room. By causing them to rust, excess moisture will affect your metallic belongings.
Moisture also stimulates mold and mildew development that can cause diseases. The air moisture will be kept within the necessary limits with this portable air conditioner in your room.
This air conditioner has 3 modes: fan mode, cooling mode as well as dehumidifier mode. This means that running the air conditioner in the configuration you want is much better for you.
You can be confident with the absolutely quiet activity that even though you run it through the night, there will be no noise. Moreover, the sound of the air conditioner will therefore not affect the adjacent spaces. This assumes that you will be able to use the air conditioner very conveniently in any form of premises.
- Cooling Capacity: 14000 BTU
- Built-In Dehumidifier: Yes
- Recommended Room Size: 350 square feet
- Auto Restart: Yes
- Max Noise Level 75 dB
- Timer: Yes
- Self Timer Duration: 24 Hours
- Control Method: Remote
- Product Dimensions: 17.1 x 13.8 x 28.1 inches
- Item Weight: 28 pounds
- Voltage: 115 Volts
Where to buy Black & Decker Portable Air Conditioner
#3 BEST ENERGY-EFFICIENT: Midea MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
It can be very difficult to try to find a small, portable air conditioner, fan, and humidifier combination at the right price. However, this is a thing of the past, thanks to MIDEA, one of the superior models on the market today is their 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner.
The MIDEA MAP08R1CWT has the unusual ability to monitor the temperature inside a room in your house while acting as an air conditioner.
It’s also a fan, but you don’t have to think anymore, you’re safe for those crazy hot days. It also acts as a humidifier, meaning it will add moisture to your dry room. From one model, you get all these fantastic advantages, tremendous value for your money.
Because of its lightweight size, people want the 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner since it weighs in at just 60 pounds. It is also easy to hold and move about, as well as to move to some other part of the building.
The Portable Air Conditioner of 8,000 BTU has a scale of energy efficiency (EER) of 8. 9. That’s not all; there is even a 24 hour on and off switch for this model that helps you to control and adjust whenever you want this air conditioner on and off.
This allows you to cut back on the amount of power that the air conditioner consumes. It also has sleep settings and a timer that can be helpful in tracking the use of electricity.
This 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner has a remote access control that allows you to control the unit from about anywhere in the room. There is no need for you to get up and go and change the temperature.
You can simply use the MIDEA MAP08R1CWT remote control and set your preferences anywhere in the room where you happen to be seated.
This model’s decibel value is 55 dBA. This is when the indoor air conditioner is used. If you travel without soundproofing in an apartment or if you have trouble with a lot of noise, this is important to take into account.
- Model Number: MAP08R1CWT
- Fan Speeds: 3(Low/Med/Hi)
- 24 Hour Delay Timer: Yes
- Filter Type: Reusable
- Clean Filter Indicators Light: Yes
- Remote Control: Yes
- Color: White
- Casters: Yes
- Drain Hose Connection: Yes
- Drain Hose Included: No
- Cooling Capacity: 8000 BTU/4000 SACC
- CEER: 6.5
- Airflow: 330 CFM
- Roomside(hi/low): 277
- Sound Performance(sound pressure hi/low): 51.5
- Refrigerant: 55
- Daily Moisture Removal: 2.8
- Minimum Operating Temp: 62.6ºF
- Power Supply: 1900 mm
- Plug Type: LCDI(5-15P)
- Cooling Watts: 850 W
- Rated Cooling Amps(AHAM): 7.39
- Product Dimensions(W*D*H): 345mm x 363mm x 701mm
Where to buy Midea MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
#4 BEST EASY INSTALLATION: Serene 10,000 BTU 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
When it comes to manufacturing portable air conditioners, SereneLife is considered to be a reliable and trustworthy brand. Quite lightweight and completely compact, this air conditioner is perfect for cooling and heating in rooms without tension. With its straightforward electric plug-in feature, its configuration is very easy and simple.
This air conditioner comes with a dehumidifier that is built-in. Using the mode key, the user may pick the dehumidification mode using the remote controller. There is an indicator light for dehumidification that shows when it is on.
Timer Mode Feature
As the name suggests, this is a feature that enables you to time the operation of the air conditioner device. You should do so in a manner that follows the schedule, thus increasing efficiency for you.
Digital LED Display
By only taking a look, you will have a quick understanding of what is going on with the device.
This is a helpful feature that this cooling model comes with. The auto indicator light shows on when the user clicks the mode key or chooses auto mode from the remote controller. The auto indicator lamp comes on after the auto mode has been picked. In this mode, the activity state operates with the temperature of the environment.
As it comes with a low noise level engine, this air conditioner is not a loud one. Its operating noise level is 56 dBA (+/-3), which ensures that you can have a good sleep even in fully working mode.
The maximum level of operational noise you can go is 59 decibels, and that is also really manageable for you or your family, not just you, but other people in the room.
- Product Weight: 65lbs
- Product Height: 32.09 inches
- Dimensions: 17.45-inch wide x 32.09-inch high
- Cooling System: Compressor Refrigerations
- Exhaust: Venting Hose
- Vent Closing: Yes
- On/Off Timer: 24-Hour
- Cooling Capacity: 10000 BTU
- Estimated Cool Area:
- Cooling Fan Speeds: 3
- Air Fan Speeds: 3
- Air Flow: 170.69 CFM
- Watts: 1150 W
- Remote Control: Yes
- Air Discharge Type: Front
- Button type: Digital touch control panel
- Display Details: Temperature
- Preset Programs: Fan only, Automatic swing mode, Sleep mode
- Thermostat: Yes
- Included Filters: Screen Air filter
- Air Filter: Washable
- Dehumidification Mode: Yes
- Special Included Accessories: Window exhaust kit
- Available Colors: White
- Display Type: Numeric LCD
- Weight: The SereneLife 10,000BTU is in a class of its own when it comes to a genuinely lightweight, versatile, and compact air conditioner. It is really convenient to bring this portable room air conditioner around.
- Different operating modes: There are four working modes in this air conditioner, making it much simpler for you as a user. There are the following modes: sun, cooling of the air conditioner, fan, and dehumidifier.
- Portability: The SereneLife 10,000 BTU portable air conditioning unit is completely portable and lightweight, unlike certain other air conditioners that are merely portable in name. To make movement as simple as possible, it also comes with rolling wheels.
- Incomplete accessories: Some users have reported that, even after paying hundreds of dollars on the order, their kit arrived with incomplete accessories.
Where to buy Serene 10,000 BTU 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
#5 BEST OVERALL FEATURES: Whynter Elite ARC-122DS Portable Air Conditioner
This Whynter Elite ARC-122DS portable air conditioner has received an impressive amount of favorable feedback from consumers. It seems like any portable AC you’d find online at first sight, and that’s true in most cases, but that doesn’t actually mean that it’s not worth considering.
Perhaps the Elite ARC-122DS might be the perfect option if your home doesn’t have a central cooling system and you need something to take with you easily from room to room.
Compared to many portable air conditioner units, the Whynter Elite ARC-122DS has one distinct benefit. While most have an exhaust hose that blows the hot air out of the room, a second hose is provided to bring in air from outside.
While this may not sound like a big advantage over the use of air from within the room, it makes it more effective.
If needed, the Whynter Elite ARC-122DS can also work with only one hose, but it will be less effective. It is designed for cooling rooms of up to 400 square feet and has three fan speeds, auto evaporation and modes of dehumidification and fan only.
Maximum Cooling Capacity
In rooms up to 400 square feet, the 12,000-BTU ARC-122DS is designed to decrease the temperature. This is not the largest portable AC that you can find by far, but this is more than enough power that you may need for the typical bedroom, kitchen, media space, and home office unit.
A dual-stage filtration system consisting of a washable pre-filter and an activated carbon filter is used in the ARC-122DS. The pre-filter helps to capture and avoid large particles from entering your home from outside. These filters aren’t the most sophisticated, but they perform just fine as per portable air conditioner standards.
The ARC-122DS has a programmable 24-hour timer that can be arranged after a few hours of use to switch on at a certain time or turn off.
Before you walk in, your house will be as cool as a cucumber, and it also saves electricity by going off automatically when you don’t need it.
- Cooling Capacity: 12000 BTU ASHRAE-128 Standard
- Three Operational Modes: Cool, Dehumidify, and Fan
- Control: Digital Remote
- Dehumidifying Capacity: 76 pts/day
- Filter Types: Carbon Air Filter and Washable Pre-Filter
- Large Exhaust Hose: 5.9 inches diameter
- Large Hose Connector: 5.9 inches diameter with 5.0 inches diameter reducer
- Small Intake Hose: 5.0 inches diameter
- Small Hose Connector: 5.0 inches diameter
- Air Flow (at high speed): 330m3/h / 155CFM
- Cooling Power: 1200W/10.5A
- Voltage: 115 V
- Unit Dimensions (W x D x H): 17″ x 16″ x 29.5″
- Package Dimensions (W x D x H): 19″ x 18″ x 34.5″
- Incredibly Quiet: This machine has an incredibly silent compressor, and when the fans are working, it is impossible to detect any noise. It guarantees that you can work or sleep without noise disruption.
- Effective Cooling: This unit is one of the best air conditioners for medium rooms of up to 400 square feet. Cooling is made more efficient by the dual-hose method.
- Strong Dehumidifier: Up to 76 pints of extra moisture per day can be extracted by this machine.
- Small Internal Container: While the device can extract up to 98% of moisture through the exhaust vent, despite its high moisture pulling power, its water container is limited.
- Display of Temperature: The device displays the set temperature, but it does not display the actual temperature.
Where to buy Whynter Elite ARC-122DS Portable Air Conditioner
#6 BEST DUAL HOSE: Whirlpool WHAP142AW Portable Air Conditioner
Why place a comfort at limit? The Whirlpool portable air conditioner with the dual-exhaust allows versatile positioning inside your home.
This Whirlpool portable air conditioner is designed for cooling and dehumidifying a space of up to 400 square feet and features on-board electronic controls with 3 speeds and a 24-hour timer, plus a convenient remote control.
It’s easy-rolling caster wheels enable you to move the portable device from room to room conveniently, delivering cold air where and when you most need it. With the provided window exhaust kit, it only takes a few minutes to uninstall and reinstall. We bring convenience and support to the next step at Whirlpool.
Design & Convenience
The Whirlpool WHAP142AW comes filled to the brim with versatile functions and modes in traditional Whirlpool design.
Fortunately, Whirlpool took the dehumidifier feature of this unit into consideration, having both a full water tank indicator and auto shutdown capability for where there is a risk of leakage due to no more space remaining in the reservoir.
In addition, the user is encouraged to pull from their device the output they need with the combination of the remote control, 24-hour timer, and various fan speeds.
- Cooling Capacity: 14000 BTU
- Cooling Area: 550 Sq.Ft.
- Moisture Removal: 3.8 (Pints Per Hour)
- Mode: Cool, Dehumidify, Fan
- Cooling Speeds: 3
- Fan Speeds: 3
- Control Type: Electronic Control Panel
- Display Type: Digital
- Programmable Timer: 24 Hour
- Filter: Removable and Washable Mesh Filter
- Wheel Type: 4 Rolling Caster Wheels
- Voltage: 115 V
- Depth: 15-5/8 inches
- Height: 30-5/16 inches
- Width: 17-15/16 inches
- Amperage: 11.4 A
- Dual-hose design capacity and cooling speed
- Some users report much wider areas of cooling
- Difficulty getting spare parts when needed
Where to buy Whirlpool WHAP142AW Portable Air Conditioner
#7 BEST FOR LARGE AREA: De’Longhi Pinguino Deluxe Portable Air Conditioner
De’Longhi has a strong credibility for producing and manufacturing outstanding small kitchen appliances and HVAC systems. One of them is the De’Longhi Pinguino Deluxe 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner.
The new Pinguino is able to cool extra-large rooms and connected rooms with a total area of 600 to 700 square feet to as low as 60 degrees Fahrenheit in terms of versatility.
Although cooling is, predictably, the main feature of the unit, it is differentiated by its secondary functions from other versions in the De’Longhi line—as well as from other manufacturers.
This Pinguino model is capable of dehumidification, and it also holds mold and mildew growth at bay with its Bio Silver Filter. Although you can’t adjust it to a fixed level of humidity, the device constantly collects humidity on its own from the air.
The Pinguino relies heavily on low-noise handling. To trigger the Quiet Mode, simply push the button, either on the remote or the control panel. This upgraded device only runs at half its predecessor’s volume—and its fan mode is much quieter.
There is also a stand-alone fan configuration, even when heating or cooling modes are not in operation, to improve air circulation. It also functions with significantly less noise than any of these modes and can run at varying speeds.
- Dimensions (l x w x h): 18.3 x 34.3 x 20.1 inches
- Product Weight: 83.33 lbs
- Rated voltage/Frequency: 115 (V~Hz)
- Color: Black
- Dehumidifying Function: Yes
- Fan speed: 3
- Recommended Room Size: 700 sq. ft.
- Cooling Capacity: 14000 BTU (ASHRAE)/ 8600 (DOE)
- Input Power: 50 Watts
- Fan Function: Yes
- Remote Control: Yes
- With its advanced technological features the Pinguino is certainly capable of cooling as well as overall temperature control. In a remarkably small period of time, the device is also good at cooling confined spaces.
- Although dehumidification is a secondary function, its output presents the device as a cut above portable air conditioners that are similarly priced — especially those without this feature.
- Odor elimination is another advantage of dehumidifying, and is especially appealing if you intend to set up the Pinguino air conditioner near your kitchen.
- The Pinguino 3-in-1 is bundled with adaptable attachments to fit your window, like other units in the De’Longhi range of portable air conditioners. For easy storage it also comes with an end-of-season cover.
- Although a portable unit is indeed the Pinguino 3-in-1, it weighs in at a staggering 70 pounds. It’s simply not built to go up and down stairs with ease, regardless of being on caster wheels and having convenient handles.
Where to buy De’Longhi Pinguino Deluxe Portable Air Conditioner
The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide: Best Portable Air Conditioner
Portable air conditioners are not only a smart choice, they are also a perfect way to save money and cut the amount of electricity you consume. In fact, the advantages associated with these AC units are numerous.
Whatever the reason to start considering a portable air conditioner, before making a purchase, it’s important to find the right portable AC for your room.
Here are the key things you need to know to help you make an informed decision in your AC search, to help you find the right portable air conditioning unit for your home and lifestyle.
Product & Room Size
Even if you decide to maintain it for the long run in one place, you need to ensure it fits in that spot. Measure the space to make sure that the dimensions of the package meet what you have room for.
Decide whether you’re going to need to rearrange the space for it to fit in the position you’ve picked and whether or not you’re all right with that.
If it is necessary for you to save on energy bills, you can also give preference to finding an air conditioning unit with a programmable thermostat that will automatically turn off when your room hits the temperature you have set it for.
Make sure you keep your machine clean and well run, since more electricity would end up being consumed by any AC that needs to do more work due to poor maintenance.
If having an AC device that doesn’t bring too much noise to your home when it’s switched on is vital to you, you will find some that are built to be quieter than normal. If manufacturers have put work into making an air conditioner louder, you can bet that in their specifications they would note that.
Yet, essentially, reading consumer feedback is one of the best sources for learning what to expect from the noise of an air conditioner. If you see reports about the noisiness of the AC, then you know that it’s not for you.
Simplicity of Use
It would usually be pretty easy to use most of the portable air conditioners, but you have a few things to remember that will affect how much work they take.
An air conditioner that comes with a dehumidifier can assist in removing air humidity. For many reasons, regulating the humidity in your home is beneficial as the heat begins to rise.
An air conditioner that serves as a heater will save you the difficulty of having to buy a separate product in the winter to keep your home warm. As you can use it year-round, this feature will give you more value for money.
To Sum Things Up
Summer doesn’t need to have a downside, at least not when, on your own terms, you can regulate the heat in your home.
When it comes to buying a portable air conditioner, there’s a lot to consider, and the first time you switch it on during a sweaty summer day, you’ll be glad you’ve taken the time to read this the best portable air conditioner.