Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and to bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most cases I receive referral commissions. Eventually, I may earn enough to buy a beer or two 🙂
Here is a quick summary of 7 of the best canister vacuum cleaners to suit your budget and cleaning requirements. Why get a canister? It has the power of machines twice or 3 times its size but the advantage of portability and it’s multifunctional.
Canisters provide the same premium features found in upright vacuums such as cyclone power, air filtration and bagless convenience. Let’s see what’s on offer.
#1. Best Bagless Filterless Canister
It no surprise that the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Canister is at the top of our list. Why? Because Dyson has created a vacuum cleaner that doesn’t require filters.
The science behind filterless is named Cinetic which catches tiny dust particles that usually congest standard vacuums.
The filters have been replaced by cinetic tips that vibrate incredibly fast (5000 times per second) to sift out micro dirt particles from the air.
Dyson sets the bar once again and this technology is a result of years of research. Their cinetic tips trap dust, mould, pollen and allergens to deliver fresh clean air.
- Expect heaps of suction power, 230aw to be exact.
- A large 1.6 litre bagless dirt bin comes as standard. Dirt is easily ejected in seconds with one press of a button.
- The Dyson ball ensures the best steering around corners and the canister will get back up automatically when toppled.
- A good range of accessories provided including a carbon fibre turbine head, combination tool, stair tool and tangle-free turbine tool.
- Lightweight machine weighing in at only 7.7kg.
- A long 6.6 metre cable for better reach.
Rating 9.5 / 10
Where Can I Buy The Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Canister?
#2. The Most Multifunctional Canister
Are you looking for a canister vacuum cleaner that gives you more freedom to reach awkward areas? Shark design the most versatile vacuums and their lift-away models give you that extra functionality.
The Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Canister (NR96) can be removed from its base for easier cleaning of stairs and drapes.
The motorised floor nozzle steers effortless around corners, underneath tables and chairs. The nozzle is equipped with LED lights to guide you through darker areas.
Clean a variety of floor types using the one-touch controls that allow you to switch from hard floors to thick carpets.
- The Shark Rotator cleans allergens from the air using Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and HEPA filtration.
- The best-motorized brush on a canister. It works on any floor type and it thoroughly agitates stubborn dirt. We like that it has lights.
- NR96 is a light machine that weighs only 4.6kgs, which makes it easy to lift and carry when vacuuming stairs.
- The HEPA filter and foam filters are washable thus reducing the cost of replacement.
- Shark is generous with accessories. In addition to the motorized brush, you are supplied with a crevice tool, dusting brush, small pet power brush, straight suction nozzle and an accessories bag.
- There’s convenient onboard storage for accessories. Top marks for good design.
Rating 8.8 / 10
Where Can I Buy The Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Canister (NR96)?
#3. Best Heavy Duty Bagged Canister
Numatic is a long-standing British manufacturer that gave us the smiling Henry canister vacuum cleaner.
HVR200A is their latest edition and it’s equipped with welcomed upgrades including a lighter body that weighs only 6.6kgs and suction power strong enough to qualify Henry for commercial use.
Numatic decided to keep bags in their machines but continued to refine their products to ensure that suction is never lost whilst trapping dirt efficiently and completely.
Don’t underestimate a vacuum cleaner that smiles at you during boring house chores.
- Henry has an incredible cleaning range of up to 26.8 metres.
- The best graded Hepaflo dust bags to trap dust, debris, allergens and makes sure that they never escape. HVR200A is equipped with 2 power settings- an economy setting and a turbo mode when that extra oomph of power is required.
- A body that is virtually indestructible. Henry machines are built so strong that they are normally used in industrial and commercial environments. I’ve come across customers that have owned a Henry for close to 20 years.
- The twin-flo motor is an upgrade that uses less energy and guarantees lower machine noise.
- Henry houses a larger than life dirt bin with a massive 9 litre capacity.
Rating 8.6/ 10
Where Can I Buy The Numatic Henry HVR200A
#4. Best Canister Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair
The Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover is popular canister for pet owners because it strikes the balance between great functionality and affordability. Do you suffer from allergies? The small vacuum provides generous suction power and anti-allergenic HEPA filtration.
Suction can be adjusted to target problematic areas and get rid of pet hairs hidden deep within fabrics and carpets.
It comes with a good range of accessories specifically for pets and delivers the best possible clean. You’ll be surprised how lightweight the Eurika unit is, you’ll have no trouble carrying it around whilst cleaning.
- The Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover is low cost to suit most budgets. It’s a value vacuum that doesn’t undermine cleaning performance.
- Good to know that HEPA filtration is included at such a low price point. The Eureka vacuum cleaner is bagged to ensure that trapped dirt and dust doesn’t escape back into the air when emptying the bag.
- The dirt bag is designed to quickly remove animal odours whilst vacuuming.
- Accessories specifically for pet hair are included. In addition to a rotating brush, you are supplied with a beater bar to effortlessly suck up hairs lying on upholstery, carpets and rugs. A crevice tool for tight gaps, a dusting brush for drapes and ceilings and a mini turbo tool.
- There’s also clever onboard storage for your accessories, this gives easy access whenever they are required.
Where I Can Buy The Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover?
Rating 8.5 / 10
#5. Best Budget Canister Under $55
BISSELL Zing Rewind is a small bagless canister vacuum that gives big results. It has enjoyed plenty of positive reviews from satisfied customers because of its compact body and whole-home cleaning system.
Everything you need from a vacuum cleaner is packed into this unit for a low cost of under $55.
What can you expect from the Bissell Zing? It provides high-performance cleaning, especially on hard floors, but works equally as good on carpets.
The 3 stage filtration collects microscopic dust and particles and the filters are washable to drive down the cost of maintenance further.
- The Zing Rewind is adaptable to various surfaces and transitions between different floor types at the touch of a button.
- Amazingly, cyclonic suction is included at a low-cost price. Cyclone power helps to separate dust and debris from the air. We like that the suction power can also be adjusted to tackle anything from thick carpets or delicate floors.
- Bissell Zing Rewind is conveniently bagless. The dirt bin can be emptied in a matter of seconds. It’s ergonomically designed with features such as a retractable cable, a carrying handle to easily lift the unit and a light compact design that weighs a modest 5kgs.
- Cleaning accessories include a combination crevice tool and dusting brush for tight gaps. You don’t need to worry about replacement parts as filters can be washed and re-used.
Rating 8.2 / 10
Where I Can Buy The BISSELL Zing Rewind?
#6. Best Canister Vacuum Cleaner for Car Cleaning
Dyson DC39 Animal canister vacuum cleaner is a great machine for households with pets but I found that it’s equally as good for cleaning car interiors.
Why? Dyson has packed plenty of ergonomic features that make it much easier to use a canister vacuum in confined spaces.
Root cyclone technology comes as standard. This ensures that you get the best possible suction power from a small machine.
The 10-metre long-reach electric cable helps the unit to manoeuvre around different sides of the car without the cable running short.
- Emptying the dirt bin couldn’t be any easier- it can be done in a few seconds with the simple press of a button. The DC39 features a large capacity dirt bin for less frequent emptying.
- We like the Dyson Ball technology that provides the best steering found on any vacuum cleaner. You can move the unit with pinpoint precision and if at any point you topple it over, it will get back up automatically.
- A great range of accessories including a combination crevice and dusting tool for small gaps between car seats and to capture dust on the dashboard. The stair tool works well on car floor mats as well.
- The onboard filters are the best in their class. They are washable and will never need replacing during the lifetime of the machine.
Where Can I Buy The Dyson DC39 Animal Canister Vacuum Cleaner?
#7. The Most Portable Canister Vacuum
The Oreck Compact is one of the smallest canister vacuum cleaners. You could easily mistake it for a garden appliance because of its unusual shape and colour. Don’t let this put you off- the little machine is powerful and built like a tank.
I’m gobsmacked how the company managed to compress a fully functional vacuum cleaner in a body that weighs just 2.2kgs.
It’s designed to be carried or strapped over your shoulder- you’ll hardly notice it’s there. The company claims there’s enough suction power to lift a 16Ib bowling ball. Why do we love the Oreck vacuum? It’s great for small areas that bigger vacuum cleaners would struggle to reach. Use it in workshops, small sheds and spring cleaning the loft.
- A good range of accessories provided for quick and easy cleaning. A crevice tool for those tight spaces. A dusting brush for blinds, lamp shades and drapes. A stair tool and multi-floor cleaning head.
- Oreck is designed to work best with their hypoallergenic dirt bags that capture dust and ensures that it doesn’t escape back into the atmosphere.
- You’ll find a convenient access door for the dirtbag which is fastened by a lock that maintains a secure dust free seal.
- The portable size makes it versatile to clean areas that are difficult to access with a full-sized vacuum, underneath furniture, any type of floor and hard to reach areas.
Where Can I Buy The Oreck Compact Vacuum Cleaner?
That sums up our list of the latest and greatest canister vacuum cleaners available right now. Whatever your cleaning requirements, there’s a canister suited for you. It doesn’t matter if you’re a pet owner, on a tight budget or you’re looking for suction power that will lift the carpet off the floor, we’ve got you covered.
Are you considering a canister vacuum on our list or already have one? Please leave your comment in the section below. I’d love to hear what you think. Thanks for reading.
I was thinking of getting a vacuum cleaner for my mom, so this is a very helpful article. She needs something light weight, and sometimes her breathing can be labored. Thus, anything that will trap dust and allergens sounds just right for her. I’m going to show her the review so we can pick the perfect vacuum cleaner for her.
Hi Thabo, if your mom suffers from airborne allergies I would recommend the Dyson units as they are certified asthma & allergy friendly by Allergy Standards Limited. They are really easy to manoeuvre because of the Dyson V-ball steering.
They cost a bit more but you are guaranteed a vacuum cleaner that will last many years (I’ve had mine for 8 years with no issues). The filtration system is one of the best HEPA graded, combined with plenty of suction power.