Tired of taking out your big vacuum to clean small messes? We’ve summed up the best cordless handheld vacuum cleaners available right now. There’s no reason you should be put off by the thought of assembling your full sized machine to clean up bread crumbs or bits of hair. A handheld vacuum is easier to access and cleans up quickly.
Signs that you need a handheld vacuum cleaner.
- Are you struggling to vacuum your stairs and upholstery?
- Is it a chore to bring out your vacuum cleaner and to pack it away afterwards?
- Do you find yourself looking for closer plug sockets as you move between rooms?
- Do you put off vacuuming your floors for another day even when there are small areas of visible dirt?
If these are some of the inconveniences you have to deal with whenever your floors need cleaning, then it’s time you seriously considered a Handheld cleaner. Let’s see what’s on the list.
#1. Handheld Vacuum with Long Battery Life
Dyson V8 Absolute is arguably the best handheld vacuum we’ve used. It’s powered by a digital motor that spins five times faster than a formula 1 engine. It exceeded my expectations of what to expect from a handheld and I would be less inclined to take out my full sized vacuum because the V8 can tackle most jobs.
It features Dyson’s pioneering cyclone system with a total of 15 cyclones that work simultaneously to maximise airflow and separate the dust from the air.
Why do we love it? Unlike rival handhelds, it can run for an impressive 40 minutes on a full charge whilst delivering incredible suction power. This is made possible by the latest Nickel Cobalt Aluminium Battery.
V8 Absolute Best Features:
- Can be used upright on floors thanks to the supporting extension wand. It clips onto the various floor attachments supplied.
- It’s fitted with a post motor filter that catches micro dust particles and traps them within the sealed system providing fresh clean air.
- Longer battery life than competing handhelds, whilst maintaining high cleaning performance. Expect up to 40 minutes of runtime and 25 minutes when used with the motorised floor cleaner head.
- There’s a turbo boost mode for extra power when it’s required to tackle challenging chores.
- The bin collects 0.54 litres of dirt and it ejects dust in less than 5 seconds.
- Plenty of accessories provided including a mini motorised tool, a combination tool for dusting, a crevice tool for small gaps, a soft roller cleaner head for hard surfaces, a direct drive cleaner head that cleans deep into thick carpets and the head has been made wider to collect more dirt.
Rating 9.5 / 10
#2. Handheld Vacuum With The Strongest Suction Power
Dyson V8 Animal packs in two times more suction power than other handheld vacuums. If you own pets there’s enough power in this machine to keep your home hair-free.
The filtration system is fitted with HEPA filters to catch airborne allergens and expel cleaner air.
Switch between upright and handheld mode thanks to the easy clip-on attachments that are supported by an extendable wand. It’s versatile too- if you struggle to clean ceilings and chandeliers then use the lightweight V8 Animal together with the wand and combination tool to reach up high.
Dyson V8 Animal Best Features:
- The best suction power on a handheld. Expect to find 115AW of suction power.
- A convenient dock is supplied to charge the machine and the dock doubles up as storage for accessories.
- You get the benefit of root cyclone technology to remove dirt and dust from the air.
- You will find a generous supply of attachments in the box including a cleaner head for carpets and rugs, a mini motorised for upholstery and stairs, a combination tool and crevice tool.
- A hygienic bin that never lets you get into contact with dirt when emptying the machine.
- The unit is portable and weighs only 2.55 kgs.
- You will enjoy a long battery running time compared to its rivals.
Rating 9.1 / 10
#3. The Best Handheld for Car Interior Cleaning
It’s light to carry around and is equipped with soft grips for comfortable usage whilst tackling car floor mats and dashboards.
The unit is fitted with a high-grade lithium battery that ensures uninterrupted suction power.
The convenience of not dealing with tangled cables and plug sockets guarantees that you can clean your car seats and the interior in a fraction of the time.
BISSELL Multi Cordless Best Features:
- A 22V lithium Ion battery provides up to 15 minutes of high-performance cleaning.
- It’s supplied with specialist attachments to help clean confined areas underneath and in between car seats.
- Attachments include a built-in extension hose for hard-to-reach areas, a motorised brush to agitate dirt and lift it easier, a crevice tool for gaps between car seat, an extension wand for easier reach and a dusting brush for the dashboard.
- We like that the dusting brush and crevice attachments can be stored on the unit for immediate use.
- The dirt bin can be detached from the machine and emptied out hygienically with the touch of a button.
Rating 8.4 / 10
#4. The Best Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum
This extra function provides flexibility to clean multiple floor types with the two-way folding handle, then it can be detached in seconds to use for above floor cleaning.
It’s fitted with a higher capacity lithium Ion battery that gives longer cleaning times of up to 25 minutes without loss of suction.
The dirt bin is conveniently larger than it rivals and Bissell supplies various cleaning attachments specially designed for stick and handheld modes.
Bissell 1954 Bolt Lithium Ion Best Features:
- A great range of attachments including a pet hair brush roll for use on carpets, rugs and hard flooring. A nozzle tool for upholstery, a combination crevice tool with a dusting brush, scoop and sweep tool.
- There’s a quick release button to detach the handheld from the stick within seconds.
- We like that it runs for longer thanks to the 14.4V Lithium Ion Battery that gives 25 minutes of vacuum time.
- It sports an extra large dirt bin with a capacity of 0.6 litres for longer intervals between bin emptying.
- The stick handle folds back and forth for improved handling and getting under tables and chairs. It can be folded away for better storage.
- Pet owners can rest assured that the Bissell 1954 Bolt will give enough suction power to draw out pet hairs from deep within upholstery, carpets and floors.
Rating 8.3 / 10
#5. Best Handheld Vacuum for Mattress Cleaning
Dust mites love to breed inside mattresses because its warm and they can feed on our skin cells. The Dyson V6 mattress is equipped with the latest technology to suck out allergens caused by dust mite droppings.
A powerful digital motor targets potential food sources and eliminates dust mites.
You get to enjoy uninterrupted cordless root cyclone power for 20 minutes and there’s a boost button that increases suction for more challenging chores.
We like that HEPA filtration is included to capture micro dust particles and clean the air.
Dyson V6 Mattress Best Features:
- Dyson’s digital motor is the best in its range. It offers the strongest suction power over alternative handhelds. There’s 28AW of power and 100AW when turbo boosted.
- Good ergonomic features such as the easy empty dirt bin that will release dirt with a single button press. The bin has a good capacity of 0.4 litres.
- You are provided with an attachment specifically for mattress cleaning- a motorised mattress tool that agitates mattress fibres to loosen dust and dirt. Additional tools include a rigid crevice tool and a combination tool for dusting.
- The V6 Mattress is light. It weighs only 2.04Kgs and the portable body means you can use it in awkward areas without difficulty.
The machine is recommended for allergy sufferers because it is certified Asthma and Allergy friendly by Allergy Standards Limited.
Rating 8.2 / 10
#6. The Best Low-Cost Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hairs
The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser is an affordable cordless hand vacuum that is highly favoured by pet owners. It delivers great cleaning performance to suck up pet hairs lying around the house and upholstery.
Bissell managed to pack in a two stage filter to catch dust and allergens plus it’s equipped with a motorised brush to sweep up dirt effectively.
Why is it popular with pet owners? The unit is lightweight and portable enough to store within easy reach. You get several attachments to keep your home pet hair free.
It’s perfect for vacuuming the stairs, the car and anywhere else your pets might roam to.
Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Best Features:
- A 2 stage filter system provides dual-action filtration to keep the house smelling fresh.
- 3 useful cleaning attachments are provided, including a crevice tool for small spaces, an upholstery tool for sofas and drapes, and a motorised tool that gives a thorough clean.
- The unit is extremely light weighing only 1.4 Kg making it slightly heavier than a bag of sugar.
- The lithium battery has a runtime of 15 minutes but some users have reported using the Bissell Pet Eraser for up to 30 minutes.
Rating 8 / 10
That sums up our list of latest and best cordless handheld vacuum cleaners currently available. There’s plenty of multifunctional, powerful handhelds to clean up after pets, car interiors and hard-to-reach areas. There’s no need to lug around a big vacuum cleaner for the sake of vacuuming a few crumbs.
Are you thinking of getting a handheld vacuum from our list or do you already own one? Please leave your comments in the section below. I’d love to hear from you.