What Is The Best Steam Cleaner For Tile Floors & Killing Germs 2021
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and to bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most cases I receive referral commissions. Eventually, I may earn enough to buy a beer or two 🙂
What is the best steam cleaner for tile floors and killing germs? In recent times it has never been more important to be cleaner than clean. We already know that most germs and bacteria cannot tolerate high temperatures, therefore, it’s a good idea to blast the surfaces around your home with hot steam to minimize the chances of germs spreading in your house.
Steam cleaners come with many advantages and are an effective way to clean surfaces quicker whilst being kind to the environment. To get going all you need to do is pour water into your steam cleaner and nothing else. In addition to cleaning tiles you can use hot steam to clean ovens, microwaves, hobs, hoods, grout, curtains, upholstery, wooden floors and even carpets but this will depend on the type of steam cleaner you decide to buy.
Thankfully, we’ve done the hard work for you and shortlisted the best steam cleaners available right now. With all the great choices out there, there’s never been a better time to buy one. In this review, we’ll focus on high-performance appliances that pack a punch when it comes to the delivery of hot steam. We want to ensure that the device can deliver a continuous burst of hot steam to get rid of germs that are transferred from outside into your household surfaces.
Steam Cleaning Buyers Guide: Here’s What You Need To Know
The key ingredient for a steam cleaner is nothing else but water. You don’t need any special detergents or bleach to clean surfaces. Steam is a powerful component in getting rid of germs and removing stubborn grease and grime that could have been stuck to surfaces for months or even years.
What you want to buy is a steam cleaner with multiple attachments so that it can perform several tasks across your home. The most versatile appliances can tackle cleaning bathrooms, showers, toilets, kitchens, living rooms and even windows. You’d be surprised how much cleaning you can get done with just hot steam- it’s a miracle worker.
Steam cleaners don’t all look or perform the same. They come in different configurations and sizes, therefore, you will need to decide which one works best to suit your needs. We’ll concentrate on the 2 main types of steam cleaners i.e. steam mops and traditional steam cleaners.
Hot steam is a thing of beauty because of how effective it is at eliminating germs, grease and accumulated dirt without needing to use cleaning chemicals.
Getting rid of viruses from kitchen surfaces, windows, tiles and hard floors is much easier with the right steam cleaner. In this review, we’ll look at the different types available to help you make an informed decision.
So, whether you want to clean up those old windows, refresh your tiles or just keep a hard floor in tip-top condition, you need to find the best steam cleaner for the job.
Should You Buy a Steam Mop or a Traditional Steam Cleaner?
The range of steam cleaners currently available come in two different types. You can choose either a steam mop or a traditional steam cleaner but what is the difference between the two and how do you know what’s best for you?
We’ll begin by looking at steam mops. They look like a standard mop, however, they are equipped with a water tank and heating system that produces steam and delivers it to the head of the mop.
As the mop travels across surfaces it blasts out hot steam that loosens grime and kills germs. The microfibre mop head then lifts the dirt. The cleaning process is quite straightforward and steam mops are a godsend for homes with hard floors such as laminate, wooden floors or tiles.
These appliances clean your floors with less effort compared to a standard mop. Steam mops don’t leave behind as much moisture on your floors as a typical mop, therefore, you will end up using less water and your floors will dry up much quicker. Bonus!
Traditional steam cleaners are usually designed with a separate tank. Steam is then pushed out of the nozzle that is connected to the hose. These appliances come with various attachments to perform different tasks around the house.
You should be on the lookout for accessories such as an upholstery tool for furnishings, an attachment to clean windows and a tiny nozzle for focusing steam into corners and grout. You will also find a mop attachment on most of these traditional steam cleaners to extend cleaning to floors.
In terms of versatility, you are better off with a traditional steam cleaner than a steam mop. If you’re only concentrating on cleaning your floors then a steam mop is more than sufficient, however, if you want an all-rounder that can get rid of germs from both floors and above-ground surfaces then I’d highly recommend a traditional steam cleaner with multiple attachments.
Handheld steam cleaners are made for cleaning hard to reach areas and are easier to manoeuvre around areas such as showers, ovens, microwaves and around bathrooms. You can tackle greasy areas such as cooker hoods and hobs much quicker and easier with a handheld steam cleaner.
The Best Steam Cleaners For Tile Floors & Grout
Although tiled floors can resist spillages and stains it can still be a breeding ground for germs and viruses that come into your home through incoming foot traffic from outside. The advantage of steam is that you can rapidly target and disinfect your surfaces much more effectively. So without further ado, let’s take a look at the best steam cleaners available to buy right now.
1. Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop and Steam Vacuum Cleaner
- Weight of steam cleaner: 11.5 lbs.
- Cord length: 25 ft.
- Water Tank Capacity: 28 oz.
- Best used for- sealed wood floors, tiles, laminate, linoleum and vinyl floors.
- The appliance is equipped with a multi-surface pet brush roll.
- User-friendly smart-touch controls.
- Can clean different surface types.
- Two tank technology.
- Great for households with pets, hard floors, area rugs, laminate and linoleum floors.
- This versatile device can simultaneously vacuum and steam.
- The Two-Tank Technology enables collection of dirt in one tank and water storage for steam in the other tank.
- The appliance is easy to clean and maintain.
- Slightly pricier than alternative steamers, however, it comes with more features.
The reason why the Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop ranked number 1 on our shortlist is because of its versatility.
It’s hard to find a steam mop that comes with vacuum functionality bundled into one device. On top of that, the vacuum suction performs incredibly well. The microfiber brushes within the roller are designed in such a way that animal hairs do not get tangled inside (another bonus).
This steamer mop will quickly take care of food spillages. If you spill sauce or grease onto the floor simply turn on the vacuum and steamer to get rid of it.
The appliance can transition between different floor types seamlessly. You can clean tiled or laminate floors then switch to cleaning rugs. The roller can be adjusted to suit different floor types.
Although the Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop costs a bit more than its rivals I think the higher price is worth it because of the high performance that it delivers for both vacuuming and steaming. It’s rare to source an appliance that scores really high marks in both categories.
Where Can I Buy Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop and Steam Vacuum Cleaner
2. Bissell PowerFresh Slim System Pet Steam Mop for Tiled Floors
- Water Tank Capacity: 12 oz
- Length of Cord: 25 ft
- Weight of appliance: 6.4 lbs
- Best used for: Bathrooms, kitchens, hardwood, linoleum, ceramic, marble, granite and tiled floors
- Multi-function 3-in-1 mop.
- It comes with a grout flat scraper, bristle, angle tool.
- A generous selection of accessories. There are 9 different tools included.
- Great for households with pets, hardwood or tiled flooring and window cleaning.
- Tackle corners and awkward spaces with the swivel steering.
- Accessories can be conveniently stored inside the on-board storage.
- In addition to the attachments, you are provided with a wall mounting kit and an attachment for floor steam mopping.
- Not as effective at eliminating pet hair.
The advantage of the Bissell Powerfresh Slim steam cleaner is that it can perform a multitude of jobs on top of just standalone floor cleaning. You can tackle greasy ovens, dirty windows and grubby showers.
Despite its portable size, the Bissell Powerfresh excels at cleaning big areas. The machine’s profile is slightly longer than the average handheld steamer, however, this doesn’t compromise on its performance. The Powerfresh is one of the most versatile steam cleaners that you can get today.
Cleaning bathroom tiles is a breeze and it performs equally as good on other types of tiles thanks to the generous selection of accessories provided. It comes with a grout cleaning attachment as well. Awkward spaces such as tight gaps and behind toilets are much easier to reach. Cleaning can extend to upholstery and drapes too!
What about the steam mop feature on the Powerfresh? Is it any good? Yes, it is. The floor cleaning tool is sturdy and is attached to an interchangeable microfibre cloth that can swivel into any position. The 12ounce water tank has enough capacity to provide enough steam for 30 minutes of continuous use. The power cable is 25foot and offers plenty of range to clean even the largest of rooms.
The Bissell PowerFresh Slim System sports an attractively lower price tag than our top ranking appliance and it’s offered with a similar 2-year warranty for peace of mind, however, there’s a compromise if you’re a pet owner. The PowerFresh can’t get rid of pet hair as easily as the Bissell Symphony.
Where can I buy Bissell PowerFresh Slim System Pet Steam Mop for Tile Floors?
3. PurSteam System ThermaPro Steam Mop for Tiled Floors
- Water Tank Capacity: 11.5 oz
- Power Cord length: 20 ft
- Appliance Weight: 2.2 lbs
- Best used for: tiled floors, grout, windows, mirrors, stainless steel surfaces, sealed stone
- PurSteam Pocket mop system
- Can be used as a garment steamer
- Safe to use around pets
- Sanitize surfaces without the use of harsh chemicals
- Great for households with pets
- Clean multiple floor types including laminate, hardwood, vinyl, tiles and linoleum flooring
- Multifunctional cleaning mechanism
- Achieve a sanitation level of 99.99%
- The device is ready to clean in half a minute
- Not as many accessories provided as its rivals.
- Consumes more power compared to the competition.
Nonetheless, the PurSteam cleaner is an incredibly versatile cleaning tool.
PurSteam utilizes the full power of steam and enables you to perform virtually all steam cleaning tasks around the house. Hot steam is available in just 25 seconds and it can be used on wooden floors, tiles, concrete, stainless steel surfaces, carpets and rugs.
The tank capacity is 11.5 ounces and the device can be detached and transformed in a handheld steamer for above ground surfaces such as kitchen worktops, hobs and hoods. PurSteam provides 20 to 25 minutes of powerful steam with each full tank of water.
Although the device does not come with as many accessories as the Bissell Powerfresh, it still offers a versatile solution to steam cleaning multiple areas. It also costs less than the Bissell options and it cleans carpets as well, whereas the Powerfresh does not! If you’re looking for an affordable all in one steam cleaner then you should seriously consider buying the PurSteam System ThermaPro.
Where can I buy PurSteam System ThermaPro Steam Mop for Tile Floors
4. Bissell Spinwave Powered, 2039A
- Water Tank Capacity: 28 oz
- Length of Power Cord: 22 ft
- Appliance Weight: 11 lbs
- Best used for: sealed wood, linoleum, laminate, vinyl, and tiled floors
- 28-ounce capacity provides 45 minutes of cleaning time.
- Soft touchpads for delicate surfaces
- Motorised spin pads for high cleaning performance
- Low power usage of 0.9 amps
- Soft TouchPads can be used on delicate surfaces
- Motorised Spin Pads for multiple surface types
- Easy-Fill tank system for speedier cleaning
- Lightweight appliance
- On-Demand Spray
- Not as versatile as its rivals.
The motorised spinning scrubber function ramps up cleaning performance.
The Bissell Spinwave is a regular steam mop which comes with rotating pads. It comes with a sizeable water tank capacity of 28 ounces which offers 45 minutes of continuous steam. If you want to use a cleaning solution there’s a small reserve for that, simply press a button to open and pour in the detergent.
The biggest advantage would be the two rotating brushes at the base of the machine. This eliminates the scrubbing effort needed to remove stubborn stains. The Bissell Spinwave is brilliant on tiled floors and dusty wooden floors. It excels at steam cleaning bathrooms, wooden floors and kitchens. The device is portable and incredibly agile to help remove difficult food stains and spillages, however, it might not be as easy to clean areas that are hard to reach.
The Spinwave is a perfect gadget if you want to reduce the time that you spend scrubbing on your hands and knees in a household that is predominantly hard floored.
Where can I buy Bissell Spinwave Powered, 2039A
5. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Steam Mop Multifunctional Cleaner
- Water Tank Capacity: 11.5 oz
- Power Cord Length: 20 ft
- Appliance Weight: 4.9 lbs
- Best used for: tiled flooring, upholstery, drapes, kitchens and bathrooms.
- Can be used to steam clothes as well as a steam mop
- Swivel steering improves handling
- Gets rid of bacteria
- Adjustable Smart Steam Control
- Comes with the advantage of fabric and floor steaming
- Can be manoeuvred easier than rival steamers
- Removes bacteria in record time
- User-friendly steam adjustment
- Detachable accessories for versatile cleaning.
- Not recommended for carpet cleaning
The LIGHT ‘N’ EASY steam mop provides a viable solution for steam cleaning and makes it light and easy. A great all-in-one steam cleaner that you can buy at a low cost. It produces steam in as little as 30 seconds and delivers 20 to 25 minutes of uninterrupted steam. It cleans virtually any type of surface expect carpets and rugs.
The detachable handheld section extends the functionality hugely. You can tackle a variety of tasks such as fabric cleaning areas like drapes or curtains or cleaning hobs, ovens, food splatterings, microwaves and greasy hoods.
In addition to the 2-year warranty, it comes with a complimentary replacement policy (which you don’t find with rival products). The LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Steam Mop Multifunctional Cleaner is an affordable appliance and a no-brainer for those that are seeking a low-cost versatile steam cleaner from an established brand.
Where can I buy LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Steam Mop Multifunctional Cleaner?
6. Bissell PowerFresh Cleaner, 1940
- Water Tank Capacity: 16 oz
- Length of Power Cord: 23 ft
- Appliance Weight: 6 lbs
- Best used for: marble, hardwood, ceramic, granite, linoleum and tiled floors
- No need to use harsh chemicals or detergents
- Highly functional flip-down scrubber
- Adjustable steam control
- Removes germs
- Change between 3 different levels of steam
- It comes with fragrance discs for a fresh-smelling room.
- Supplied with a Mop Pad kit
- Easy Scrubber for difficult stains
- Cannot be transformed into a handheld steamer.
The Bissell PowerFresh Steam Cleaner is purely a steam mop and cannot be converted into a handheld appliance. It comes with a number of benefits such as a 23-foot power cord for an extended cleaning range and user-friendly digital controls. Steam is ready in just 30 seconds thanks to 1500 watts of power. The running time is 20 minutes of continuous steam to target the most difficult jobs.
A drawback of the Bissell Powerfresh is that it’s limited to cleaning just tiles and sealed hardwood flooring. It can’t be transformed into a handheld device and isn’t supplied with any accessories.
If you’re after a no-frills steam mop then the Bissell Powerfresh 1940 is an ideal appliance, however, for a little bit more money you can buy the Powerfresh Slim model which is an all in one steam cleaner that can be used as a steam mop and a handheld steamer or you could buy the versatile Pursteam for less money.
Where can I buy Bissell PowerFresh Cleaner, 1940
7. Shark Lift-Away Pro S3973D
- Water Tank Capacity: 7.4 oz
- Length of Power Cord: 18 ft
- Appliance Weight: 4.8 lbs
- Best used for: tiled floors, hard floors, drapes, countertops.
- Intuitive steam mop system
- Can be used as a fabric steamer
- Comes with steam blaster
- Clever controls
- Smart Steam Control
- Easily transform from steam mop to handheld
- 3 ft. hose with a pocket cleaning tool
- Equipped with a padded triangle scrubber head
- Costs a bit more than the competition
The Shark Lift-Away Pro S3973D is priced slightly more than its rivals, however, it comes with a decent set of cleaning features.
Not only is this steam mop lightweight but it can be converted into a handheld steam cleaner. The tank capacity is 17 ounces and as a result, it provides half an hour of non-stop steam! The cleaning pad can be hygienically removed and dropped directly into the washing machine without ever needing to touch it, simply press a button to detach the pad.
Personally, I would say that the Shark Lift-away steam cleaner is in the higher price bracket for what it offers. There are cheaper options on our list that offer more versatility, however, if you find this model on sale then it’s worth buying.
Where can I buy Shark Lift-Away Pro S3973D?
How Do I Choose a Suitable Steam Cleaner?
When looking for your perfect steam cleaner there are several factors to consider before buying one. Firstly look at its versatility (can it perform a variety of tasks?), what is your budget? What are the core features?
At the bare minimum, a steam cleaner should be equipped with the following features-
- The time it takes to heat up water and produce steam should be half a minute or less.
- The water tank capacity should be at least 10-ounces.
- Adjustable settings for different floor types.
- A power cord that is at least 20-foot long.
The above features are a good starting point and anything in addition to this is a bonus.
Is Your Steam Cleaner Versatile
As mention before, if your steam mop can do more tasks beyond just being a mop then this is even better. You are essentially getting more bang for your buck! The best feature is if it can be transformed into a handheld steam cleaner. This feature alone will immediately give your appliance triple or quadruple more uses such as cleaning windows, ovens, cookers and hoods, bathtubs and more.
Some models come with vacuum functionality and others are equipped with intuitive attachments for specific tasks, for example, an upholstery tool for fabric sofas and curtains. It’s always worth looking at the attachments that come with a steam cleaner you might be considering to buy. Choose wisely and you’ll get so much more from your new steam cleaner.
How Much Does a Steam Cleaner Cost?
Like with any potential purchase, you probably have a budget in mind for your steam cleaner and might even be willing to go above that budget for a high-end model or a bigger range of features. In the case of steam cleaners, I’d suggest sticking to your budget as much as possible unless there is a specific feature that you are willing to shell out more money for.
The price range for handheld steam cleaners is between $40 – $150. Steam mops range between $60 – $250.
Buying the Best Steam Cleaner For Your Needs
The type of steam cleaner you end up buying wholly comes down to the tasks you need to use it for around the house. Let’s take a look at some of the factors that you need to consider-
- Only purchase a steam mop if you’re only intending to steam clean your floors. They are exceptional cleaners especially for hard floors and some are designed to freshen rugs and carpets too.
- Purchase a multi-functional steam mop if you want the flexibility to clean floors and above-ground surfaces. These multifaceted steam mops can be converted into portable handheld steamers too. You’ll usually find a good selection of attachments accompanying these appliances so that you can perform different tasks such as cleaning grout, sinks, cookers, countertops, microwaves, sofas and lots more with a single device.
- If you struggle to use an upright steam mop due to its heavyweight or handling then you might be better off with a cylinder steam cleaner. The weight issue is mitigated by the fact that these devices are sitting on wheels, therefore, even a heavy cylinder steam cylinder will not pose an issue as you will be pulling it around rather than lifting it. Generally, a cylinder device will perform the same tasks that a multi-functional steam mop can do and will be supplied with a generous set of attachments.
The only drawback with cylinder steam cleaners is that they take longer to heat up water. You will need to wait a few minutes for the steam to be ready, however, they run for longer and require less refilling with water. Some models can be refilled whilst in operation, therefore, you don’t need to stop and turn off the machine.
Are you considering buying any of the steam cleaners from our shortlist or do you already own one of them? Please leave your comments in the section below. I’d love to hear from you! Until next time…
Our List of the Best Domestic Appliances
- The Best Home Steam Cleaners
- Best Affordable Robot Vacuums
- Best Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Best Robot Vacuums for Pet Hair
- Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners
- Best Cordless Vacuums Cleaners
- The Best Robot Mops for Kitchens, Bathrooms & Hard floors
- Best Handheld Vacuums
- Best Robot Vacs
- Best Upright Vacuums
- Best Canister Vacuums
Hi, This is a wonderful post for me. Thanks for sharing this amazingly helpful content. I think that would help me to choose the best steam cleaner for tile floors. Keep sharing..!
This is a great post, definitely helps with the differentiation between a steam mop and a steam cleaner. But I wondered, I am looking for a good steam cleaner but wondered if there was a good option to use within the house and for cleaning a BBQ. Is there one on your list that has the right nozzle for this?
Thanks again, really clears up why the wife wants a steam cleaner…
Thanks for your feedback! There are several options on our shortlist to use both inside the house and for cleaning a BBQ outside.
I would highly recommend the Bissell Powerfresh Slim System (number 2 on our list) for the above tasks. The Bissell steam cleaner is a great option as it comes with plenty of accessories for indoor cleaning as well as a nozzle with stiff bristles that can scrap away charred food remnants from the BBQ grill.
For me I prefer a regular steam cleaner… because thats what I have been using for a very long time now and it hasn’t fails to deliver expressly …I was to get a steam mop before this whole lockdown but I was told they don’t last up to six month how true is that?? Thanks alot for sharing this awesome article I hope it helps other as it has helped me.
Don’t worry, the steam cleaners on our shortlist will definitely last longer than six months with daily usage. The manufacturers also provide a minimum of 1 year warranty on their products, so rest assured that if anything goes wrong the support team can help you. Which brand of steam cleaner are you currently using?